Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sweet Melissa Sunday-Pecan Shortbread Cookies

Hi and welcome to Sweet Melissa Sunday! We are baking Pecan Shortbread Cookies today. This recipe was picked by Lara of The Lab. I was very excited to try this recipe. I usually bake things with chocolate, so that was different. AND I had leftover pecans from THIS cake...so I was ready to go!!!

Here are most of the ingredients...flours, butter, and chopped pecans.


The recipe said to use a food processor and mix it all up. Well...I don't have one so I used my pastry blender and tried to break up the butter and everything else. It didn't work all that well, but in the end the dough came together. I rolled it into balls, put on a parchment lined cookie sheet and into the oven. And I waited...and waited...the kitchen smelled heavenly! My kids ran downstairs to find out what was going on! The anticipation was killing us!! When the buzzer rang, I ran to the oven...to find this...


WHAT??????????? Want to see it again? From a different angle??


My husband asked, what are they supposed to look like? The flat ones or the round ones? He's SOOO funny!! Truth is...I have no idea. I've never made shortbread before. But the last step of the recipe is rolling the cookies in powdered sugar, so i'm pretty sure they are not supposed to look like you stepped on them. UGH!!!

I read and re-read the recipe to make sure I didn't leave anything out. And I didn't. I guess the hand pastry blender didn't do the trick. I'm not sure what happened this week, but it wasn't pretty. I only had one night to bake, so I didn't have a do-over night. I am looking forward to seeing all the other Bakers this week to find out what it was SUPPOSED to look like!!

Hope you are all having a Sweet Sunday and a nice Easter. Sorry I don't have something prettier for you to look at today!!

15 comments:

Flourchild said...

Hmmm I wonder what happened. Bummer they didn't turn out.
Have a great Easter!

Unknown said...

Oh bummer, sorry these didn't turn out for you. I wonder if maybe your butter got too warm using the pastry blender? The food processor whipped the dough up so quickly it didn't have time to get very warm. Hope you have a nice Easter!

ScrappingMomOf3 said...

I've had that happen before, too, Mara. I can cook, but baking is just not always my thing! :)

Julie said...

Mine spread more than I would have liked! I think my butter wasn't as cold as it should have been.
I think I took mine out a little early, too.

Happy Easter

Tessa said...

Oh no! Thanks for trying it out despite the lack of a food processor!

Good idea on using up the pecans - mine were leftover from the same cake :-)

Susan said...

Your hubby sounds like my hubby. :} I read several other posts and they had issue with the cookies not baking round or being crumbly. Guess I am not too upset about missing this one now. :)

Leslie said...

Oh no! I had problems with crumbly dough before they went into the oven, so I rolled and cut them instead of rolling them in little balls. They tasted fine, but looked nothing like they were supposed to.

Joni M said...

Happy Easter to you and your family! They look like the cookies we made the other night, which is pretty typical for us... I just blame it on the oven, lol! I hope that they still tasted good...

Julie said...

Looks don't matter anyway...isn't that what they always say? Sounds yummy :)

Mona Pendleton said...

Happy Be-lated Easter Mara! Your story is too funny :) I've never made Shortbread cookies before, so I have no idea what they are supposed to look like, wish I could help! You never know unless you try! :) Thanks for the chuckle! :)

Val said...

Happy Easter Mara. Everytime I look at your blog, I wish I lived closer. Great stuff as always :)

Monique said...

OH my !!!! I am LMBUTTO!!!! I am sorry but this is more like it!! This is what it looks like when I bake! and you know it's all good!!

BethieJ said...

Oh Mara that made me LOL!!! I have never made short bread either.. so I am no help!!!

Rosy said...

I'm so glad I've found someone else who ended up with cookie spread issues!! Mine spread too but I put it down to accidentally adding the flour in with the butter and sugar in the first step... But they tasted great so I wasn't too worried!! R x

margot said...

Oops! I think it must have been the hand pastry blender, which really blended everything well (I thought maybe I'd overdone it). Oh well, chocolate cake this weekend!