Basically it's a brownie recipe where you pour half the batter in a pan...layer as many peppermint patties as you can on top...then add the 2nd half of the batter. They are super fudgey and minty and that big bite of pepppermint patty is the best.
The original recipe on Brown Eyed Baker called for making a full 9x13 pan, but for some reason I halved the recipe and made them in a 8x8 pan. Big mistake. I wanted more of these!!! But considering i'm still in this walking boot and have no conceivable way of burning off 1000 calories, maybe it's not such a big mistake.
Peppermint Patty Brownies
slightly modified and halved from Brown Eyed Baker
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
4 ounces unsalted butter
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 bag of family size Peppermint Patties (the big one from Target)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 8x8-inch baking pan with foil, shiny side down. Smooth the foil then butter it lightly or coat it with nonstick spray.
2. Chop the chocolate and cut the butter into cubes, then warm them together in a medium bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat as soon as both are melted and smooth.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or by hand, whip the eggs, vanilla, instant coffee, and sugar on high speed for about ten minutes until foamy and stiff.
4. By hand, stir in the chocolate mixture, then the flour.
5. Smooth half of the batter into the pan. Place a layer of peppermint patties over the chocolate, breaking them into pieces to fill in any large gaps.
6. Pour the rest of the batter over the patties and smooth the top.
7. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes, rotating the brownies midway during baking. When the brownies are done, they will have a firm crust on top but a toothpick inserted into the center should come out wet. Do not overbake the brownies.
8. Let the brownies cool completely, then lift them out of the pan and slice into rectangles.
**Note** I did not use the entire bag of peppermint patties, I used about 3/4 of it. But i'm sure you will find a good use for the ones that are left.
Thanks for stopping by today, friends!