Monday, April 25, 2011

Vanilla Berry Phyllo Cups

As summer is fast approaching, I see lots of delicious fruits coming back into season. Strawberries are the obvious one but I saw some fat blackberries this week that just jumped into my cart at the store. I could not resist. And in an attempt to make a semi-healthy lower calorie dessert for my bunco group, I wanted to use those fat blackberries. Plus, the thought of phyllo dough has been running around my brain for quite a while and this was the perfect opportunity to try it out!


The hardest part about the phyllo dough...was finding it at the store! I must have walked past it 47 times in the frozen food section before I finally saw it. It was a bit expensive but I find out that there is ALOT of phyllo dough in the package. I only used a small portion of it and have tons left over.


I followed the dirctions on the package to make these cups. I layered 5 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing a little bit of butter between layers. I then cut squares, pressed it into a mini muffin tin and baked it for about 12 minutes. Easy peasy!!!! I used store bought non-fat vanilla pudding for the inside and fresh fruit on top. Seriously easy peasy!!



These little cuties were probably around 60 calories a piece. Pretty good for a bunco treat!! There is lots of great information about phyllo dough and more recipes at the Athens website. I have SO many more recipes I want to try! These are impressive little treats and were easy to make. Win-win.

And as I was doing my typical i'm-late-for-bunco freakout, I couldn't figure out how to bring these with me. My brilliant husband said...just put them back in the muffin tin. DUH...why didn't I think of that? These treats are super portable, too!!


If you've never given phyllo dough a try, I highly recommend it. I can't wait to try some new recipes, now. Thanks for stopping by today!

10 comments:

Karina said...

Those look amazing - so perfect for spring - light and just a tiny bite.

VanessaB said...

YUM-O! phyllo and wonton wrappers- always a hunt. ;)

Monique said...

Hi Mara...Oh these look so Yummy!!! Hope you had a wonderful Easter!!!

Joni M said...

I have never tried phyllo dough. It's a good thing you told me it was in the frezer section, because I probably would have looked for it by the pop-n-fresh cookie dough.
Another GREAT idea for Bunco! TFS!

Michelle H. said...

These look amazing and so very yummy!!
Love how pretty they look too!
I'm sure everyone loved these at Bunco!!

Lee said...

Those look so good! I love berries.

Diane Jaquay said...

Oh YUM!!! Now where do you live, I think I want to be your neighbor lol ;)

BethieJ said...

Mara YUM!!! I gotta give these a try.. I must say I am READY for summer.. and BERRIES!! :) Fresh ones.. not those frozen ones I have to buy when summer is gone! LOL! :)
Hope your day is GREAT!!!

Rebecca Keppel said...

those look So pretty and delicious! a perfect summer treat :)

IamDerby said...

Yum! So simple and fun