Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Holiday Jar Luminaries

I've been wanting to do this project since I saw the cutest jar luminaries around Halloween time...and it's taken me this long to get it together!! This weekend the kids and I gathered up supplies to make frosted holiday jar luminaries. This is what you will need...

Glass jars. They can be canning jars, recycled pickle jars, baby food jars...



Strips of tissue paper. My strips were about 2 inches wide and tall enough to fit whatever glass jar we were using. I just tore the strips by hand. You could also use colored tissue papers.


Two very excited and willing participants...




Some Mod Podge (or other decopauge glue) and foam brushes.

Start by brushing the mod podge over one long strip of your glass jar. Then press the tissue paper to the glue. Smooth out all bubbles and make sure you have enough glue. The glue will dry clear, so using alot of glue should not be an issue.





The kids and I cut holiday shapes from the Cricut with plain cardstock. After your whole jar is tissue papered (is that a word???), add a good amount of glue to the spot you want to add your decoration. Then paste it on. Hold it good a tight for a second, then generously mod podge over the decoration.



Once they are all dry, you can add tea lights to the bottom of all the jars. Line them up...light the candles and enjoy your holiday luminaries!!



I just LOVE how these turned out!!! I added googly eyes to the reindeer after the mod podge was dry. The kids love them, I love them...I think they are a great addition to our holiday decor!!



I'm also posting this project over at Today's Creative Blog Get Your Craft On!!!



Thanks for stopping by!!!

15 comments:

Lora Oliver said...

those are beautiful! and the luminaries are gorgeous too!

Unknown said...

These are adorable! Lovely work!

Sarah said...

These are awesome!! I want to make some now. And I love the "I'm too cool to take pictures" face!!

Susan said...

Very nice. I need to start saving some jars.

mustangkayla said...

Those are cute! What a great project to do with your kids!

Unknown said...

So cute - these are wonderful!

Rebecca Keppel said...

These are super cute! And your kiddos are adorable seriously working on them and then posing with the finished product :)

Gina said...

These are so fab!!!! Great job!

BethieJ said...

Mara these are FABULOUS!!!! I will have to peek at the site you linked!!!
Have a GREAT day!

VanessaB said...

LOVE THESE!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Hi Mara! These turned out FABULOUS! What a great idea! Your kids are so cute too! Happy Holidays!!

melody said...

well..aren't those just the kewlest! another fabulous project! love em chickie

B said...

Absolutely fab! :) LOVE them!

IamDerby said...

What a great project for your kids. they turned out wonderful.

KristenJo said...

These came out so cute!!!! LOVE!!!