Monday, September 27, 2010

Kayla's 7th Birthday Party

Happy Monday everyone!! It is SOOOOOOOOOO hot here today!! Downtown Los Angeles hit a record high of 113 degrees today. Yes, you read that right. 113 degrees!!! Thankfully, it was only about 102 degrees where we are. What happened to fall? Apparently we are getting our summer in September this year.

So we picked a doozy of a weekend to have Kayla's 7th birthday party. Outside. All of it was going to be setup outside but we have to rearrange things a bit. We did have a jumper/slide in the backyard and I swear it was about 20 degrees hotter inside that thing, but the kids didn't care. Lots of sweaty heads and red faces, but everyone had fun regardless. This year we had an ice cream social for her party. So no cake...but we did have a make-your-own ice cream sundae bar. The kids (and adults )loved it! Here are some details. My daughter picked purple and blue as her 'theme' and I tried to go with that.



Marshmallow Pops!


Tissue paper pompoms. I found the directions on the Martha Stewart website, soooo easy to make!


Rice Krispy pops for party favors. We made ice cream cone tags and Kayla wrote all the guests's names on the tags.


Here's the birthday girl. Don't you like how her outfit is color coordinated with her 'theme'? She did that, no suggestion from me! Really!


We had a bounce house/jumper in the backyard and an ice cream cone pinata!!



And we cooled the kids off with a make your own ice cream sundae bar. Yum!! There was some serious sundae making going on. And some kids just LOVED the whipped cream and I swear ended up with a huge bowl of just whipped cream.



LOOK at her face!!! She was SO hot and sweaty and red-faced. And if you've ever wondered what I look like after a long run...that's it!!! Both my poor kids inherited my 'red-faced' gene. There is a reason my soccer playing nickname was tomato!

It was a great group of friends and we all had a ball celebrating. Tomorrow is her real birthday and we plan on celebrating with vanilla cake and chocolate frosting and whatever she wants for dinner. I hope you are all staying COOL!!! Thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fantastic birthday! Your pom-pons came out AWESOME and those dipped marshmallows are so tempting! And of course, the birthday girl looks OVERJOYED.

It's hot for us, too... but ummm not like freakishly record breaking, oh-my-goodness-I'm-melting! hot!

Rebecca Keppel said...

I heard about that crazy record breaking heat. DH deals with a lot of people in SF and apparently it was 100 there today and they have NO idea how to deal with heat lol!! Your party looks beautiful--everything so cute and fun. The pom poms came out awesome and all the color coordinated treats are adorable. And even a little overheated, your DD is the cutest ever and looks like she had a blast :)

Cecelia said...

That is a great idea for a birthday party. I usually make my own cupcakes at my kids' parties but this is better. Everyone would love it! Including me, I LOVE ice cream...lol And those rice crispy treats and marshmellows look so yummu;0) This heat is aweful! I do not let my kids outside to play in weather like this. I am afraid they will not drink enough and get sick. So we stay inside and play puzzles and games and listen to music and dance;0)

Hugs
Cecelia B

Mona Pendleton said...

Oh my gosh Mara! What a celebration! Love all the decorations & yummy treats! Happy Be-lated Birthday Kayla!

Lee said...

Looks like it was a fab day, enjoyed by all. Great colours and theme for Kayla's party. She is such a cutie!

Monique said...

Happy Birthday to you Kayla!!

What a fun party,, the colors are awesome with the matching outfit.. To Kool!! All kinds of goodies and and sundae buffet!! I wish I lived closer I would of crashed the party!! So creative Mara..

Monique said...

Happy Birthday to you Kayla!!

What a fun party,, the colors are awesome with the matching outfit.. To Kool!! All kinds of goodies and and sundae buffet!! I wish I lived closer I would of crashed the party!! So creative Mara..

Samantha Hauzer said...

What an awesome looking party! I love the make your own sundae idea! I might have to borrow that for one of my kids next parties. I love how Kayla colour co-ordinated with her theme, so cute. Looks like she had a great day :)

Mel said...

Happy Birthday Kayla!! Looks like such a fun day! Love the idea of a sundae bar and love the blue and purple:) Stay cool!

mustangkayla said...

Happy birthday to Kayla! What a fun fun birthday! I'm going to have to sock that idea away, to rent a bouncy house, my son would LOVE that!

IamDerby said...

Oh what a cute theme! Great ideas, your dd is adorable!

~~Mia~~ said...

looked like a great party!!

you're my favourite mar(th)a stewart type EVER!!!! :)

xoxoxoxo

Amber Zimmerman said...

What a fun birthday theme!! Looks like it was a hit to me. :) 113 degrees, eh? Wow! We are already hitting the 50s. The warm, sunny days are far and few here. We are heading to Florida in 2 weeks to get our dose before it really gets cold!

Sue said...

Sounds like the perfect theme for this hot weather! All of your treats look so pretty and color coordinated! Love the pinata too:) The birthday girl looks pretty happy with her sundae!

VanessaB said...

yuuumm! what a fun birthday, and i love your decor and goodies; you were a busy mama. seriously cute photo of Kayla at the table and everything coordinating. :) i, too, unfortunately get red faced; she looks cute red faced though! :)

Joni M said...

Happy Birthday, KAYLA!!!
What a great day for an ice cream party! Of course, as far as I'm concerned any day is a GREAT day for ice cream! LOL!
Great photos, Mara! It's nice of Kayla to color coordinate for you... now all you need is some blue and purple PP... hehehe...

Jenny said...

love, love , love the decor!

wendipooh13 said...

oh wow what a cool party!!!! way to go with all the food and decor!!! that is amazing

Michelle Whitlow said...

oh how fun!! Everything looks great!!!

My daughter gets that same red face...always has since she was a toddler!

The Gov. said...

Oh my gosh! What a fun party . . . I bet your DD loved it!

BethieJ said...

Mara it looks like a FUN DAY!! That heat is CRAZY!!!
Love that Kayla coordinated her outfit to her color theme! :)

Marci Barone said...

So what is the stuff that the marshmallow is dipped in?? Frosting?? Looks like a great idea!!