Thursday, November 18, 2010

3 Musketeers Cupcakes

A friend of mine had a birthday this week and I asked her what her favorite candy bar was. I was so excited that my Snickers cupcakes turned out so well, that I wanted to try another candy bar flavor. Well, she picked 3 Musketeers. Hmmm...how do I do that???? I decided to try to re-create the fluffy nougat inside a 3 Musketeers bar so I could fill a chocolate cupcake with that. Amazingly...I found a recipe!! I used the Pioneer Woman's best chocolate cake ever recipe for the cupcakes (found HERE) and a nougat recipe, which I'll share below. First, the cupcake.


Pretty unassuming, right? I used my standard vanilla buttercream frosting for the top. And I tried to whip up some nougat...like this:

12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tub cool whip

I melted the chocolate chips, then put the melted chocolate into my mixer. While whipping the chocolate, I slowly added the cool whip. This is where things got weird. It took a long time to whip together and then the chocolate got a little bit chunky. Maybe the cold cool whip added to the hot melted chips wasn't a good combination? Regardless, I got most of it to whip and then I filled the cupcakes with it.


What do you think? It tasted pretty good. But not really like 3 Musketeers. Every once in a while you would get a bite that almost tasted like it, but not quite. It wasn't fluffly and light enough. So these were more like chocolate filled chocolate cupcakes. And really, what's not to like about that???

So not all of my cooking experiments turn out quite how I would have hoped. But I will keep baking and trying. Anybody got a good nougat recipe?? Thanks for stopping by today!

8 comments:

mustangkayla said...

Way to try something new! I have all the ingredients except the snickers bars to make those cupcakes next weekend. :-)

B said...

Oh these look fab!!!

Michelle H. said...

Mara, they looks so yummy!
Love the recipe!
I do that sometime too!
I like to try new recipes they don't always turn out the way I want them too but they still taste good!
TFS!!

Heather Baird said...

Mara, those look awesome!! I bet that filling was excellent. My husband keeps asking for "nougat" but the only recipes I've tried turn out really dense.

IamDerby said...

It looks pretty tasty!

Rebecca Keppel said...

mmm they look delicious regardless :)

VanessaB said...

looks yummy! what if you bake them with actual 3 musketeers candy bars in it? or will it just ooze into the cake? i'm extra impressed you made your own nougat. :)

Unknown said...

Okay, now I am craving those!!! Would you share the recipe for the Snickers cupcakes too?