Tuesday, April 24, 2012

She-Art Girl workshop

I have really been enjoying seeing all the mixed media art out there lately. It's something that i've never done before and I wanted to learn more. I signed up a while ago for Christy Tomlinson's She-Art Girl workshop and have been slowly working my way through her amazing videos. It was hard for me to get started on my own canvas. I felt like I was going to mess it up or do something wrong. A few of my scrappy friends encouraged me to just do it! So I finally did.


I had some friends over this past weekend and we all played with canvases, paper and paint. I had a big stack of leftover Basic Grey papers and I picked through it for some color inspiration. I tried to use as many stamping techniques as I could from the workshop videos. I used a Tattered Angels glimmer mist mask with acrylic paint and that didn't work out too well, ha ha! I ended up covering much of that mask with other random paint and stamping.


I also raided my stash of rubons and used a ton of them. I used some heart stamps I forgot I owned and also stamped with bubble wrap, mesh wire, and toilet paper rolls.


I had SO much fun making this canvas. By the end of the day my hands were covered with paint and I had modge podge in my hair. This is the most fun I've had with my scrap supplies in a while. I will definitely be making more of these. I do need some work on the head/hair/neck dimensions. This girl is heading towards having an afro and the poor thing has no neck!!

Have you ever done any mixed media art? This is my first dive into the pool and so far i'm enjoying it. Thanks for stopping by today!

14 comments:

Laurel said...

Amazing project, I love it!

Rebecca Keppel said...

i think she came out absolutely lovely! gorgeous canvas and I love the flower in her hair too :)

Samantha Hauzer said...

oh wow Mara, your canvas looks fabulous!! Love it!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful canvas Mara! Love your mix of colors! Remember in Art~there are no mistakes :)

Tracey McNeely said...

Incredible canvas Mara. I love all of the colours. Fantastic!

Annette Allen said...

aww this is so sweet...I love your she art canvas...love all the textures...

VanessaB said...

no doubt you'd be awesome at it! love this. beautiful colors and piece of art!

wendipooh13 said...

WOW!!! VERY cool, I totally need to get trying this, yours looks amazing

Aubree said...

You are so inspiring...trying something completely new to you! I just love how this canvas came out!!

Joni M said...

Mara, your background is really amazing! I LOVE how it came out!
I wish my background could look more like yours... mine are such a mess!
I can't believe you just started! This is fabulous!

Julia Aston said...

How very cool Mara! I've been thinking about taking that class myself - even bought some of the supplies - but haven't taken the plunge yet - I love what you created!

Elena said...

oh, I just love it!

Michelle H. said...

Mare I love it!! You rocked it!!
So funny I almost joined this same workshop!! I love Christy Tomlinson!!
Yes I have been doing some mixed media in my smash book for fun.
Im working on a canvas now just for fun!
I love creating with canvas!
Have you tried Tattered Angels glimmer glam glitter paint?
Fun paint with lots of glitter!!

BethieJ said...

FABULOUS Mara!! I LOVE it!! You did a GREAT job!! Your day sounds so FUN!!!
Yes I have been doing some too! AND even have ideas for a few more... NEED to get busy on those! LOL!!
Have a GREAT day!